Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT]LAST DAY AT WORK [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rush-O-Matic, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

In a small company, the owner/CEO is much more inclined to come in and micromanage a process he/she doesn't understand, or is unqualified to do, just because they are the boss and feel responsible so must be in control. In my case, non-technical execs have come in and outright told me to do things a certain way because that's what makes sense to them... even though they have no experience with it.

Or they ask you to explain it to them in 2 minutes or less using small words so that they can make an educated decision for you. "Uhh... you need 10 years experience just to get the groundwork of what I'm talking about... nothing at all like your sales and marketing background..."

Then it becomes my fault for not explaining it to them better.

There are very few executives who will just turn to you and say, "we hired you for your expertise and experience, do what you think is right, just educate me on the business implications of the various options".

At least in a bigger company there seems to be more isolating layers between you and the "do as I say" types that know nothing about what you do... odds are your immediate manager/supervisor has SOME experience with your job.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is what my wife also pointed out. Leave now before you are forced to.

I've done this a million times. It basically boils down to uncertainty vs what I know. My job treats me well. I have no idea how this one will treat me. But I'm much more excited about the work. So why not take the pay bump and try it out?

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Do you think you will regret not taking it?

Me and my husband are younger than you and no kids yet. We went through a decision making period and the uncertainty was a big part of the difficulty of it. As a compromise I kept my job an extra month while he moved up there to make sure it was a good fit. The extra income is nice, too.

Your situation is way different but this worked for us.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Our old CTO, whom I still keep in contact with, said this is exactly how the startup he worked for after ours was before he left a few weeks ago. He didn't care how smart she was or what her CV said, she just un-coachable, total micromanaging tyrant that wants him to walk her through each aspect of what hes coding, when he just needs to sit down and write the code based on what she wants it to do. This is in a company of 11 people. Because of that, he thinks they will fail in the next 6 months. Luckily ours isnt like that. Thank god.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I find that this is actually the hardest thing for me to work on personally, as well... you have to trust your team, but also know the right moment to insert yourself into the situation when the need arises.

You can't micromanage, but you also can't just let them do whatever they want.

It's tough to do effectively, while maintaining positive team morale and effectiveness.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At a finance company I contracted for, the CEO asked me to justify, line by line, a list of security items I wanted to implement. "What does this firewall rule do? Uh huh. What is "torrent"? Oh. Is it bad? Okay."

About 15 minutes in, I told him that we could set up a meeting to review these items, how long I thought it would take, and reminded him of my billable rate. I suggested that maybe this wasn't important for him to understand in that level of detail, but he said he wanted to do it.

And that's the story of the time I billed a customer more than $2,000 to give Explain Like I'm 5 descriptions of dozens of firewall rules to someone who forgot everything I said within 24 hours.

The office manager was a little irked when she got the bill and saw it cost her $1,000 for a network audit/remediation, and $2,000 to tell the CEO about it.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As soon as she saw that line item, she probably understood and found it justified.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The fact that a CEO wanted to be involved in audit remediation / action plans (unless it’s a public company) says a lot.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Look what I found!!!

A103ACC2-A258-4243-B4E5-EF71A9C4B7AA.jpeg

An entire gallery. We now have a coffee table book of his paintings and his “Why is the blue dog blue” children’s book. I have friends from LA and grew up on Cajun cooking so the blue dog legend holds a special place in my heart.

Plus, ARF! Didn’t find a free boat by the gallery though.

10. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Liberty Safe

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, she was irked at him, not me. She knew.

CEO was the nicest guy you ever met. Just no ability to delegate tasks he didn't understand.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me, or did Toyota Jan get hotter after she had her second baby?

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    "Hey...this is a spacecraft "

"We don’t want to get in the way of a good story, but that’s definitely us," the GoodYear Blimp account wrote, "We left the Charlotte area 5/29 after covering the Coke 600."

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Why is there never, ever a clear shot of these UFOs? Theyre always off in the distance, over the horizon or super grainy. Everyone has an HD camera. I need some higher quality shit here.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm surprised that guy wasn't at the Coke 600.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There used to be a bunch of blimps: Goodyear, MetLife, Fujifilm . . . I think Outback Steakhouse even had a blimp once. In like 2001 or so when I first moved to the house I'm in now, I was out working in the yard, and heard this sort of "gas leaf blower in the distance" sound. It kept getting closer, and I realize it's overhead. I looked up and the Fuji blimp is practically on top of me. Flew over the house very low and freaked me right out. But it was cool.

Hooters missed out. They could've had a double blimp. Blimps: RIP.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"WHERE ARE MY LAWN DARTS!?!?!?!?"

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

For the same reason there’s never a good shot of a ghost: clearly they’re smarter than us.

19. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe we can have Audrey get a quality picture of one when she finally gets around to fucking it.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Why does the ghost have to be a neo-Nazi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.