Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] NATIONAL LASHES DAY[NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Takes a lot of money to look like that in your seventies. Still, I can't disagree with the sentiment.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sure does.

I was looking through images of Helen Mirren and came across some article where she's quoted to say that she doesn't give a flying fuck about aging.

She looks great and I am not saying she should just give up or whatever, but she totally gets at least SOME regular cosmetic procedures. She has not fully embraced aging, she just has the money to fight it the way she wants. Probably annual cheek fillers at the minimum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this was hilarious, my kid taking evasive action. We're at my brother-in-law's house just messing around, me on the dirt bike and kid on a powerwheels. BIL caught up to us with the drone and it tripped my kid out. I didn't even know the drone was there until I rode back to see what he was doing and it flew right over my head. My kid is all, like, what the fuck is that.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would motor boat dem tiddies.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sunday morning science, bitches.

Huge fan (and Patreon) for SmarterEveryDay YT channel... and today I learned that when the electrolytic oxygen generation system on a nuclear sub goes down, they burn candles to make oxygen. I had no idea.

7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nett probably already knows this, but the drop down oxygen masks on airliners use a chemical reaction similar as the oxygen candles in a canister over the passenger seats. They'll provide about 15 minutes of oxygen. The pilots are on a separate system that usually uses liquid oxygen. I think some newer systems for the pilots use compressed oxygen instead for reduced handling precautions, etc, but would have to look it up.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I didn’t know that. I always assumed there was some liquid oxygen system for the masks as well. I know pilots have their own supplies at hand though.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I’ve never heard of burning a candle to make oxygen before. Learn something new every day.

10. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Mine self-rescue systems use a system that gets super hot, but it will stop you from suffocating. It feels like your face is on fire.

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The description of the reaction on Wikipedia sounds pretty neat. It burns iron powder to generate heat so that a chlorate salt breaks down and releases more O2 than the burning iron is consuming.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... the video I posted was really interesting, which is why I shared it... it throws a lot of heat, and is a scary "Class D" (self-oxidizing) fire, so the worst kind to have on a nuclear sub, but basically they burn 2 big candles every 2 hours, one fore, one aft, and it keeps O2 in the sub at "life sustaining levels."

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

People down there seem to be some sort of “extra retarded” that transcends even cosmic law.

I’d love to see somebody up here making a video showing sunburns aren’t real. They’d be stripped of their citizenship just on how embarrassing they are.

Sometimes I hate the internet. In a functioning society people this dumb would NEVER have the self-esteem to even post something like that.
    Like incels, they should stop trying to have an “identity”, stay in the shadows and be ashamed of who they are.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

it's one of two extremes in my experience, and events like this highlight it. Either you have people who just buckle up and redneck fix shit until it gets better, using more common sense and impromptu engineering skills than than the average person has any right to posses, or.... you have people like that who try to catch snow on fire. There was literally an issue with people taking their grills INSIDE, firing them up, and then being surprised when the place burned down (or dying of carbon monoxide poisoning, in some cases).

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There's a reason that NASA had a whole contingent of "uneducated" farmers, etc, on staff... they were purpose-built problem solvers that could offer up suggestions that "educated" engineers wouldn't dream of.

As much as education gives you knowledge, it also tends to get you to think along a certain path and in a certain direction.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome. I didn't know that.

Literally just got off the phone with my doctor (covid recovery -- I'm still alive!!), spent half the time figuring out what the hell was still wrong with me, other half sharing ideas on what we did to fix shit on our ranches and homes when it went south during the snowpocalypse and how we'll improve next time. Word of mouth is great, and this is how you get smarter. There's the by-the-book way, and there's the way that works. Sometimes those two ways are the same. Sometimes they aren't. As long as nothing gets broken and it works, then it's the "right" way.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An alarming large chunk of the population doesn't seem to have any capacity for abstract thought. They can be trained to do things, even complex and difficult things, but they aren't really doing much more than following a recipe, and if anything goes wrong along the way they're completely unable to troubleshoot or improvise.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is especially the case in software dev or IT type stuff.

Some people seem only to be able to redo things that they've learned, but not really think outside of the box and come up with something new based on what they've learned, and others are just naturally "make shit up that works".

It seems that every Russian I've ever worked with has had that McGuyver gene to them. Just hand them a box of shit and they'll build a lunar lander out of it. Others, hand them a lego kit without the instructions and they're lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.