Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] PRESIDENT'S DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Feb 16, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably a bookkeeping error; ie: the raise was already scheduled before the layoff, and they can't deny it from her or else they'll get sued.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every job I’ve had I’ve been gobsmacked at how little how little “synergy” there is between departments and general level of incompetence of mid to upper management in interdepartment decision making. Turns out most small to medium sized businesses (only types I worked for) just get by by the fact the competition is just as poorly run and customers end up with basically the same choice no matter the company they go with.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Barreling down a double black diamond through fog at 60 mph: fine, chill, no problem whatsoever.
    Following a five year old on a green at roughly jogging speed: somehow tripped and smacked my head bad enough to still have a headache.

Fucking wack ass sport.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Recently purchased a new computer chair and changed our mind immediately before it shipped because it was back ordered and they wanted us to select another model even though we had paid for a certain model. We asked for a refund and then the next week, after the money had hit our account, we received a new computer chair on our front porch.

I ain't saying shit.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Or somebody genuinely feels badly for her being let go and is doing what little they can to help her out as she leaves. I had 2 people get similar treatment during my company's recent 25%+ layoffs in the past couple of months.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice job, but it ain't no free boat. Just sayin.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought a pair of ski goggles at the start of the season, and they fucked up the shipping, so the package got stuck at the UPS distribution center like 30 miles from me. Instead of just calling UPS and fixing their error, they decided to cancel and refund my money. I needed those goggles to go skiing, so my perspective was "like hell you're canceling my order in the last 30 miles." I called UPS directly, before the seller could initiate a return-to-sender, and got UPS to deliver it the last 30 miles. Got my goggles, and my refund. I then went and bought a second pair of goggles at 50% off. Ended up with like $430 worth of goggles for $100.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

“We’re gonna put this story on Reddit, those Americans are gonna be PISSED!”

9. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean she is already getting 8 mo severance and already has a new job with better pay starting right after this one ends in june. Getting some sweet double dip.

I don't think anyone at the company is feeling sorry for her and wonder if Dixie is right and they fucked something up.

She did confirm that she was still being laid off just to make sure they werent trying to pull a fast one and by accepting the raise she was negating her layoff and package and staying on.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Getting 3 tires at a big box store it was a situation where it wasn’t at the store so they told me to buy it online from their website for whatever reason the website said it was out of stock and the store manager had to order them through the store system and I’d pay when they arrived. Get the call they were in and installed. Hands me the bill for installation and road hazard I pay extra for. The tires weren’t on the bill and they assumed I paid for them online. Drove off with 500 bucks in tires for the cost of installation.

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just wanted to drop a book recommendation. Well, audiobook. The Book of Riley series. Zombie apocalypse from the perspective of a loyal pit bull trying to protect their remaining family/pack. It's been really fun to listen to while driving. I think the first four audiobooks are included with Prime, just used one Audible credit to get the last.

I think the author does a good job with most of it, the vernacular of the dog's and cat, and their interactions and attitudes seem pretty spot on.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What chair did you go with? I'm in the market for a new one now that I'm 100% WFH. I'm starting to realize that the cheapo $99 one from wally world isn't exactly doing me any favors on days where I'm stuck in it for 6-8 straight hours.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The computer chair thing is an expensive problem for us. My husband is 6'9" and standard chairs are not comfortable. I wanted to get him a Titan, since they have a good rep for tall guys and have durability and warranties. But, we are financially tight right now and went with an E-Win chair to save a few hundred (he is having severe carpal tunnel in both hands and really needs a proper chair & desk setup) . My big and tall neighbor has an E-Win and likes his.

Right after customer service emailed us about the chair being backordered, we started reading about their warranty and people hate this company if they encounter any issue with the product. We said fuck it, refund it, and ended up with one anyway for free.

The chair itself is fine. No issues noted, reasonably comfortable. If I had the budget, we'd just have a Titan though.

14. tweetybird

tweetybird
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sir, I have been a volunteer patroller for 11 years and I still do anything I can to avoid skiing underneath lifts while in uniform. Because if I do I guarantee I will eat it in spectacular fashion.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

since the drunk thread has gradually become the "get off my lawn" thread over the years, this seems like as good a place as any to ask:

anyone have a preferred make/model of zero-turn lawn mower?

Did a big addition to both the house and lawn, and my deere s100 would take forever and a day now. Wanting a larger deck and the ability to cut closer to all the trees so I don't have as much back-killing trimmer work. Gate to yard is a 9-ft wide swing gate so width is not an issue

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

during the Texas snowpocalypse a few years back, there was like a week-long backlog of shipments due to truckers not being able to get into (or out of) Texas. We just don't have the infrastructure to clear the roads. For a while during that storm, amazon was the only one delivering so I was getting all the emergency supplies I needed through them. And then they stopped delivering. So Amazon, in their infinite wisdom, decided to just cancel all orders made during a period of time and issue replacements or refunds. A few days after the replacements came in, some of the originals started showing up. I now have two pole saws, three chainsaws, a few different axes, basically a lifetime supply of duct tape, hose clamps, and various plumbing supplies, and assorted other duplicates of tools.

Also, despite the blackouts on various cell networks today, I will be a lifetime AT&T customer because during that period they basically opened the floodgates and gave everyone on their network in affected areas unlimited super high speed everything. Then they said oh by the way, if you live in the affected areas, we aren't charging you for any of that, and in fact we are pro-rating the last month as if the previous week and a half never happened. I think we paid like $30 on that bill.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Reddit filed for IPO today... and listed r/wallstreetbets as a risk factor. lol

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also apparently gave the CEO $193 million in equity comp on a $10 billion valuation? so he just gets 2% of the company per year? That seems excessive.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Meh... I won't begrudge him that. The main reason people IPO is to get paid... it finally gives you a solid exit strategy. And the dude did create and run the site. As much as he as a person seems to suck balls, good on him for getting paid.

I could care less what CEOs get paid. I could care less if a company lives or dies. If people bitch about it or their job, meh, don't care, go and find another job.

The ONLY thing I fucking hate is when the government steps in to save companies. They privatize the gains, socialize the losses. And then do stupid shit with public money, like buy back stock, or give bonuses, etc.

They do that because governments are bought and paid for. It's fucking disgusting.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But they already sold the company for $10 million way back in the day. He's not currently being compensated as a founder, he's being compensated purely as an executive. 2% of the company to a single employee per year seems crazy to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.