Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] TOTAL ECLIPSE [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Apr 5, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You mean, Sammy Hagar, solo artist, is better than David Lee Roth, solo artist? Or, Sammy Hagar, general person, is better than David Lee Roth, general person? Or do you mean, Sammy's current band is better than Dave's current band? Or, do you mean, Sammy was better than Dave as the lead singer of Van Halen?

First one, meh, that's probably true. Second one, I don't know enough, but certainly seems true. Third one, true. Last one? lol, no

And, I actually like the Van Halen songs while Sammy was lead singer. Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love, and Right Now are great pop songs. It think 5150 and OU812 are good albums. But, David Lee Roth as lead singer on the first six albums? Sammy can't touch that, lol. Van Halen, the first album was:
    Runnin' with the Devil, [Eruption] You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, I'm The One, Jamie's Cryin', Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight, Little Dreamer, Ice Cream Man, and On Fire.
    The last of the first six with Dave was 1984, which was:
    1984, Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad, and House of Pain.

Jump
    was such a good song, that in a band known for one of the most incredible guitar players of all time, it's known for it's keyboard riff. That period was an unbelievable time of producing rock n roll songs. Fucking badass rock n roll songs. Dave beats Sammy easy.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

DLR Van Halen wins for me, however “Finish What Ya Started” in my all-time VH song.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm with you on all of that, specifically on points 1 through 4: Yes, Yes, Yes, No (but sometimes). Eddie Van Halen is a great artist, but DLR put Van Halen on the map singlehandedly.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wish it hadn't gone sideways or DLR went cuckoo or whatever, because in his prime, I think he was the best rock front man of all time. Plant was fantastic, but the rest of Led Zep being all total beasts helped. Freddie Mercury was kind of his own category, and beats DLR vocally, and I prefer Chris Cornell's voice. Jim Morrison, too much "art" and Roger Daltrey was like Plant. But, man, owning a room, venue, interview, or whatever? DLR all day. That's how AI would build a front man.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I got to see Soundgarden perform live shortly before Cornell committed suicide. Far-and-away the best concert I have ever been to.

DLR on Rogan was a good listen. It kind of helped to understand the man versus the persona, but man, he was such a douchebag in his heyday. Maybe not as bad as Mustaine, or Rose or many others, but he was such a prick unnecessarily.

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My fiance had family in from Australia visiting and part of the reason they came this particular week was to see the eclipse. We drove a little northwest and stayed at a nice place on one of the finger lakes, but it was too cloudy to see the actual eclipse, although the sun did poke through the clouds at about halfway covered. This though was taken at 3:30pm. It was kind of freaky hearing all of the frogs and crickets you'd normally hear at night for a few minutes and then hearing them go silent when it started to become bright out again. The birds were freaking the fuck out as well. It would have been nice to see the full eclipse, but it was a pretty cool celestial event nonetheless.

image0 (6).jpeg

7. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's interesting. The only time that I ever saw them was a few weeks before Cornell's death, and I thought that it was one of the worst concerts that I have ever been to. But strangely I have seen some videos from that show on YouTube and they actually sound fine, so maybe I just had a bad seat. But it was at a venue where the sound is normally very good (the Fox Theatre in Atlanta).

I have never cared for Robert Plant's or Freddie Mercury's voices, but I do think that it would have been cool to see Mercury perform live.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw the Black Crowes early in the "Shake Your Money Maker" era. I was in a fairly small venue, front row, in front of the stage stacks. My ears were ringing for 2 weeks. Chris Robinson was just terrific and very much cut from the DLR front man cloth. But, then, I saw them about 5 years later at Lakewood Amphitheatre, and the whole band, including Chris phoned it in. He was just done being "it."

Then, I saw Van Halen during their tour in the period when they reunited with DLR briefly. It was great. They were old, but Dave was still such a showman. I was like, man, balding and with a bad hip, Dave was better than Chris. And, I like the Black Crowes. (New album that just came out, "Happiness Bastards" is pretty good.)

I'll tell you who is a surprisingly good frontman: Tyler Joseph with Twenty One Pilots. He's not a showman, per se, but considering it's just him and Josh Dun. They do have some extra touring musicians, from what I've heard, but when I saw them, it was just the two of them. I'm way too old for them, but he's very good at holding a big live room.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Great song, but one of the gayest music videos of all time.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

DLR VH is just raw guitar power, whereas I see Van Hagar as being more musical and more of a full sound.

I'm a huge fan of both... but there's a reason you see all the guitar gods talk about the insane shit on the first couple of albums. They're just different bands, both with a fantastic guitarist.

That being said, I can't stand DLR as a person.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unpopular opinion here but not a Chris Cornell fan. No doubt his talent is undeniable but meh, not for me.

Btw, it's 77* in Vegas and our room is overlooking the hotel pool and a good portion of the Bellagio fountains.
    Have a great one y'all

12. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it one of those topless pools?

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like some Soundgarden stuff, but Audio Slave made me a fan.

14. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DLR is one of those front men that are always "on." Sometimes it's fun, sometimes you're worried about what they're going to do or say next. Either way, they're exhausting to be around after a while.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Probably why they end up being a mess in their 50s and beyond. Vince Neil is another one of those. Boy did that guy fall fucking hard.

[​IMG]

Kickstart My Heart? More like Defibrillate My Heart, amirightguys?

16. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Triple bypass my heart

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately not, but apparently, thongs are just normal poolwear this days.

18. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hollywood recreation of GTE’s hotelroom

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Crue was a favourite for my inner Currie of friends, so we would see them around here at every opportunity. Even in his degenerative condition, Mick Mars would still play with the skill of a world-class superstar, Tommy and Nikki are cheesy nerds but never phoning it in— Vince, a fat fuck, always fucking up the performance with bad vocals and just plain laziness. He was good once in five shows, he usually can’t wait to leave so he can go play golf or drive his race car.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Is his nose all effed up from the coke or is that just his face?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.