Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] WHISKEY SOUR DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Aug 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mine was missing Damageplan in 2004 when they came to Texas. I had just started a new job and didn't really have the money. Figured I would catch them the next time around. Dimebag Darrel was killed soon after.

I'm glad I got to see him and Vinnie Paul play with Pantera at least and then Vinnie later with Hellyeah.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, Bethel Woods, here in NY. My wife’s aunt has a vacation place there, so we’d be set for lodging but the damn ticket prices… man.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pittsburgh was one of the last Greatful Dead concerts before Jerry Garcia died. Some friends were going and as if I wanted to go as well.

I declined as I was taking my Red Cross lifeguard test that afternoon

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the only thing i don't like living where i live. Reading about all the concerts you guys have gone too. Just to far in the bush to justify taking a week off work or spending thousands on flights and a couple days off work.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm glad I saw Willie when he came to town ~5 years ago because I wanted to go see him for his 90th birthday concert at the Hollywood Bowl but the damn bots were buying up all the tickets. Sorry, not paying $1000+ a ticket for not great seats plus airfare and hotel for a concert. Too rich for my blood.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl. I saw he was trending on Twitter on a Friday night, and I went and bought a ticket for Sunday, then took the train to the venue.

7. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Willie Nelson > John Williams

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seeing John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl > Not seeing Willie Nelson at the Hollywood Bowl

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If yall know anyone in the path of Idalia....

She is strengthening to a Cat 4, and supposed to turn back towards the Atlantic, coming out of the Gulf, which is not how hurricanes usually track.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's some really healthy high pressure systems to the west and north over much of North America, pushing Idalia towards the low over the Atlantic associated with Franklin. I predict Franklin will slow its speed because of the high to its north and east causing some real nastiness for Bermuda and maybe even the Azores if the Azores high breaks down. Portugal and Spain get it, too.

Edit: To clarify, Portugal and Spain get Idalia, Not Franklin.

upload_2023-8-30_7-9-41.png

#90 Fiveslide, Aug 30, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Up until recently the only two concerts I'd ever been to were James Taylor and Prince. JT because, duh, and also it was at a really cool venue in San Antonio. Prince because I felt like I had to experience that concert. He died a few years later. He was clearly drugged out of his mind when I saw him.

Now that our boys are a bit older, we're getting into concerts again. Driving to Baton Rouge to see Hardy and Lainey Wilson in mid October, then down to NOLA because we've never been. Just got tickets for Luke Combs in May. Yes you have to get them that early. No I am not a huge fan of his generic songs at this point, but he's great live and I do like his openers.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My parents and sister, who just dropped my nephew off at college, were under mandatory evac and fortunately listened. The people I know along the east coast who will be impacted by this are not taking it seriously and will be absolutely fucked up.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Passing south of me, hopefully, but a bunch of my kinfolk are about to get fuuuuucked.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Pearl Jam always gets props from me for being the first band to declare war on Ticketmaster. And their own label, releasing every live show as a cheap indie album and allowing all forms of media tech at their concerts to prevent fats cats from profiting.

Eddie Vedder had a serious attitude change between No Code and Yield where he went from music’s most egotistical prick to a Keanu Reeves-type of celebrity who lives out in the public. When they came to town here 15 years ago, Vedder was walking around the John Labatt Centre parking lot taking to fans before the show— no bodyguards, no giant sunglasses and baseball hat. One kid told him it was his birthday, so before the opening band that night, Vedder alone comes out with an acoustic guitar and dedicated Springsteen’s “Growing Up” to him.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Cobain, Weiland, Staley, Wood and Cornell all dying might have humbled him.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weiland, Staley and Cornell all died long after Yield, and long after Vedder's transition to lovable uncle who just happened to sing about old heroin addictions. Pearl Jam has always been maybe my favorite group of all time.

I was lucky enough to see Stone Temple Pilots in concert shortly before the Weiland fallout (and death a few years later).

It's funny, it was just last year that I was listening to a Tom Petty album and was struck by the sudden realization that he's one of my favorite singers ever. I had never really given enough credit for how much I liked him. Not enough to write fan letters to a dead guy's estate, though.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, plus his acting. He was in The Postman!

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He was Lucky on King of the Hill... his best role ever.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Then maybe he just got better PR than one of his garage flunky buddies from Seattle.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Because he slipped on the pee pee in the Megalomart, which set him up for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.