Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WOOOOO Let's Get After It! WDT 7/29/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sign me up for anything with Ryan Gosling. Don't know why, but I find him immensely attractive. (and, no, I didn't see The Notebook)

He was fantastic in Blue Valentine.

2. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

My brother is moving to New York. He told people at his job his plans, and he has no contacts or prospects in NYC. Just how fucked is he? Royally or beyond repair?

3. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Been saving that one up, huh?

4. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What does he do, how much does he have saved, and what sort of expectations does he have for his lifestyle?

5. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is extremely interesting to me. When I was in kindergarten, I was already doing math, but I shortened all of the numbers, counting "On do tee fuh fae si se eh nuh tuh." They thought I was retarded until they realized I could do long multiplication. They then spent the next two years of "math time" trying to get me to say "Four" instead of "Fuh." I could say "Four," but it was far easier to make every number as small as possible. Later on I found it interesting that they were more interested in correcting my pronunciation than actually teaching me math. I also referred to larger numbers by their units. "Eleven" became "on-on." Sixteen became "onsi." Again, it sounded retarded, but it struck me as far more elegant than the ass-backwards way everyone else was doing it. Uglier? Sure, but who cares?

I think I finally stopped being a stubborn little bastard and dropped my baby-talk numbers around third grade. By that time, I already enjoyed doing math, so I became damn good at it.

6. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I wish it were possible for Ryan Gosling and John Hamm to have a son so I could marry him. I'm pretty sure that would be the perfect man.

May I join the TiBette orgy?

7. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Only if you invite your John Hamm/Ryan Gosling husband please.

8. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Works for a company that does software consulting for oil and gas companies. He'll drive (or fly sometimes) to companies for projects. He's a math/science nerd with a degree in physics. I don't know how much he has saved, but he makes between $70-80k and is really cheap. I think his company said he could work for them out of New York and just fly out for the week, go back on the weekends, but he isn't interested. He's stubborn as hell and won't even give it a try for a while.

I'm assuming his expectations for his lifestyle up there aren't too high, but the toughest he's ever had it has been living in the dorms. So, I don't think he really appreciates how frugally some people live.

9. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The dude is just a dude. I take a lot of heat for liking him, which I've never really understood. Girls can like whoever they want, Christina Hendricks to Lithgow. If a guy says he likes an actress, it's all "Yeah, she's really hot...", but if he says he likes an actor that isn't some industry giant (Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, Vince Vaughn, DeNiro, etc), and is the slightet bit good looking, people react weirdly.

If you've never seen Lars and The Real Girl or Half Nelson, I highly suggest both.

Also, for any Adam Scott fans, check out The Vicious Kind. Think it may or may not be still on Netflix instant. I dunno. Just a great movie, probably one of my favorites of the last couple years.

#209 Poopourri, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know, I think when you are young and unattached, it is the time to make a bold move like that. Worse that can happen, he'll hate it and come back home. He has a job so that is a huge hurdle overcome already. Good for him, I say.

11. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The idea that New York is impossible to afford is a myth. If he finds a place in an outer borough with roommates, learns to cook for himself, and doesn't go out drinking every night of the week, he should be fine. Just tell him not to fuck around with the job search.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I hadn't heard of that new Ryan Gosling movie, but I just watched the trailer and I really want to see it. It looks like a pretty run-of-the-mill rom com plot but, holy crap, what a good cast. And it seems like Ryan Gosling doesn't wear clothes often in it. Does everyone else think Emma Stone is awesome? I want to be friends with her.

I don't know who I am anymore. This trip has turned me into some kind of FREAK. Normally, I go to sleep between 3 and 6am and wake up between 11am and 2pm. Last night, I went to sleep at 11 and woke up at 8. I've been waiting around for my CouchSurfing hostess to wake up because I really want to go get breakfast (BREAKFAST! I never used to eat breakfast) because I don't know where the keys are and am wondering how she can possibly still be sleeping at 11.

I'm spending my last full day of my trip working. Boo. And maybe just maybe seeing the last Harry Potter movie tonight because it's $3 here and $12 at home, and I just need to see it OKAY.

13. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, you hit the nail on the head, he is a dude. I have no illusions that most of the actors are pretty much douches in real life, but he seems the type that you could kick back and do, well, whatever with him. With the more "good looking" actors, I get the impression that they would spend half the time trying to catch glimpses of themselves in shiny objects or steering the conversation to how awesome they are at every turn. I feel the same about Emma Stone as the female version of that.

Oh my, I have revealed myself to be quite the squealing little fangirl, haven't I?

14. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find a certain, and delicious irony in the fact that there is a reason there are more Asian engineers and mathematicians. English people are at a complete disadvantage. It's too bad that they tried hammering that out of you, you developed a simple and logical pattern to the numbering system that is more powerful than the one we currently use. It's not like you couldn't convert the numbers over into standard English, in fact, you could easily do so.

15. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Completely unrelated to anything that's been posted in this thread...but so funny I had to share.

[​IMG]

16. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

He's going with his girlfriend....she will be contributing nothing because she's a grad student.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Canadian comics= pure genius.

#217 Crown Royal, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. After college I moved in with my brother for about 6 months and then because a college buddy of mine asked because he was moving there, packed up and moved to Charleston, SC with little more than my dick and a credit card.

Of course, 2 months after we get there he gets engaged and moves in with his fiancee and I'm left trying to pay for an apartment on $5.29 an hour. I learned a lot of valuable life lessons like vodka is the cheapest of all the liquors, some cigarette machines will take dimes, and food isn't really as necessary as you might think if you have vodka and cigarettes.

Unsurprisingly, I lived alone for quite some time.

19. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that's a horse of a different color. Her ass needs to get a job. Best case scenario, they're paying 1K a month in combined rent before utilities, and that's if they live with other people. A single guy living on beans and his wits is one thing. Responsibility for an SO is another.

20. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Seriously, he'll be fine living in New York, provided he isn't picky about "living indoors" and "not regularly renting out anal space."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.